Wednesday 1 July 2009

Storage Solutions

I have begun to get very interested in exploring different storage solutions and closet organization systems. In fact, I know think differently about how I store things and the effect that proper storage and organization has on my life. My awakening to this new way of thinking had two catalysts. Well actually, just one catalyst which changed my way of thinking and created a new interest which was confirmed event.

The real catalyst was a birthday gift from my husband. I had been complaining about our front hall cupboard for at least two years. It was awful! The doors were constantly jamming or coming off their tracks and the interior was a disaster. I hated it and I tended to gripe about it every time I had to use it. I started to throw my coat on a living room chair in protest of such a medieval front closet. Sadly, my husband did not even notice my non-violent passive resistance form of protest against our front hall closet. I wasn't even sure he would notice a hunger strike. I had to end my protest when the kids unwittingly joined me in protest and the living room became a sea of coats and jackets.

When I complained to my husband about his oblivion to my distress and protest and explained to him the other ways I could protest, I seemed to capture his attention. Within days I got an early birthday present. He promised to install new closet doors of my choosing, new closet organizers, and he bought me a gift certificate for a half day session with a professional closet organizer consultant, and another gift certificate at Home Depot in order that I might buy what ever the consultant suggested.

My day with the professional closet organizing consultant was simply blissful. Under her direction I threw away my ugly rain coat and boots, 4 years of Field and Stream, and my husband's decades old tennis racket. She made my feel silly (in a nice way) for holding on to unmatched mittens and gloves in hopes that the missing ones might show up. She gave me freedom to purge and it was liberating to say the least.

I learned that the key to closet organization is to fundamentally limit the stuff you need to store. After only an hour with this closet genius I awakened to the fact that our family only uses about 25% of the items that we have in our closets. It really was a surprising realization.

My closet consultant brought all sort of pictures and pamphlets to show me a number of different ways to organize my closets. She also gave me all sorts of helpful hints that I'm sure to use. For example, I love the idea of giving each of my children a clear Rubbermaid bin for their items. Aside from hanging their coats, all of their belongings must be put in their own bin with no exceptions. As an added bonus, my kids also seem to like this idea.

I am well on my way to a perfectly organized front hall cupboard. I still have not finalized my organizational scheme but I'm close. Once I have the plan all mapped out I will happily use my Home Depot gift certificate.

Once I caught the closet organization bug I started to read everything I could find on storage solutions. I quickly came across a book written by Peter Walsh called "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" Click here: - The discovery of this book is what confirmed to me that I would never go back to my old disorganized and cluttered ways. Mr. Walsh tries to outline the relationship between clutter and being overweight. What an interesting concept. I have just started the book but so far I love it.

So there we have it. I am a reformed pack rat. From now on I will think carefully about my cupboards and closets. Each of my closets will have a specific closet organization system.